Saturday, December 01, 2007

Ministry of Hope - Crisis Nursery


Sustainable development. Community based organizations. Faith based organizations. Churches. Orphanages. Children’s homes. Children’s villages. Lifeline Malawi. Raising Malawi. National Organization for Vulnerable Orphans and Children. Visionledd. Kalawe Orphan Religious Care. Kids In Need Deserving Love and Encouragement. Village of Hope. Ministry of Hope Crisis Nursery. Children of Blessing Trust. National AIDS Commission. Stephen Lewis Foundation. Child Care Centre. Child Rehabilitation Centre. PAOC. PAOM. PAO?. World Vision Canada. World Vision USA. World Vision Malawi. Income generating projects. The list goes on into the thousands. I have a book from the National Organization for Vulnerable Orphans and Children (NOVOC) with thousands of organizations in Malawi that are caring for vulnerable children.

I feel lost in the amount of programs that are here that work with the sick, the dying, those with AIDS, the vulnerable and the abandoned. I feel a bit disheartened to see so much money being poured into a country and then hearing more and more stories of the effects of the disparity that the money brings. I feel numbed after working on databases at the crisis nursery where many of the children die, where many mothers die and the fathers or relatives bring the babies there, where many babies are abandoned, found by someone and then brought to the Crisis Nursery. It’s an odd job, working on databases pertaining to where these children have come from, and then to go and play with them and feed them. You hear a child crying for water, and that’s just about all he does. And it’s so annoying because there are so many children who also need care. And then you read his story. He was abandoned by his mother. And all he wants is a cup of water. So I trudge off to the kitchen and return with a cup of water which he accepts gladly and finishes it off in silence. And he comes close. And he hugs me. And I hug him back firm enough that it almost hurts him. And he loves it, to be held so close. And we hug about 10 more times. Embracing firmly, letting go, looking at him. And then there is another toddler of less than two years, much the same as the other, next to me. And he hugs me too. And I squeeze him until he exhales. And I know there is a bit of pain in it. But he smiles and wants to be hugged tightly again. And I hug him again, and he laughs, and I lay on the ground and lift him up in the airplane ride formation, tickling him as I suspend him in the air. And he screams as he laughs loudly. And then the other is next to me again asking for attention. And I suspend the airplane rides and take the other one walking outside holding his hand as he pulls me around. I can tell he doesn’t want to go back in, but wants to stay outside with me. He cries as I bring him back in and he asks for another cup of water. It’s so simple to love these kids. They are born into such horrific circumstances. I hope they turn out all right. Do you like his shoes? Thank you very dutch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Michael for making me see my kids in a whole new light, for making me think and for making me smile.
I guess the real question is what will I do with what you've said...

December 11, 2007 9:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home