Saturday, October 27, 2007

Fish head = the Engine

Last night we went to the 'Green Garden' in downtown Kisumu with 3 Canadians; Danny, Keattie and Laura, from Chelsea and Montreal QC respectively. I had a fried Tilapia fish with ungali and tomatoe stew and Andrea had this fancy pizza. In weight, I probably had three times the amount of Andreas but her's still cost more because mine was the native dish. Our server todl me I was a true 'Luo' for ordering the Kenyan Lager Tusker *thanks Dave* and that meal. He then came back after I stared the fish and told me I was eating it all wrong. That I need to start with the engine *head* and then eat the spare parts *the rest of the fish*, so I obliged and ate the eyes, the brains and the rest of the meat around the skull. I felt the gag reflex coming on a couple times but I forced myself through it. I also tried the Tanzanian beer 'Serengeti' with the Cheetah on it but I much preferred the Kenyan Tusker. The three others were great company for Andrea and I and we were very thankful for how they always asked the name of the server *who was wearing a white-collared Arby's shirt* and struck up a conversation with them. They have a tuk-tuk *3 wheeled taxi* driver named Bernard that they always call and refer other people to. I really like that. We're not really sure what we're up to today *at an internet cafe right now* other than that we're leaving at 9:00 PM tonight for the night bus to Nairobi and then straight off to Arusha risking the fact that we might need visas to get into the country *and before we get to the border*. God, please grant us favour at the border. And let us be a light for you, somehow humble and loving. And thanks for my beautiful wife who has been such a joy.

Cheers,

Michael.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michael,
What you are doing is simply woderful. You and Andrea, you have some great souls. May God bless you. I am really happy to have you as a friend and i will like to be your friend for a long time. I got an interview at the federal government in OTTOwa this week. I will like to get a placement there for my internship an keep in touch with you. I will let you know about what is happening in my life. God bless your steps on my old stomping grounds.
Kariyon

October 27, 2007 5:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home